IN THE COMPANY OF KINGS: 2 SAMUEL 7
Date of Message: 03/29/2020
Title of message: When dreams don’t come true.
Speaker: Tom Burns
Tell us about a dream (an actual nighttime sleeping dream) you’ve had.
Set the Tone:
Sometimes dreams don’t come true. Even dreams we want to do for God. Sometimes it’s even God who stops those dreams from coming to fruition. Take a few moments to reflect on a dream or dreams you’ve had that haven’t been fulfilled. What was the dream? What was your initial reaction to the dream not coming true? What are your current feelings about the dream? Reflect on these things by yourself for a few minutes.
Reflect on the Word/Life:
Everywhere you’ve gone I’ve been with you. – God
Read 2 Samuel 7:1-17
- When have your plans for God been stymied because God has a different plan?
- How did you respond to that?
- Was there a value or a positive result of that plan/dream not happening?
David was told his son would build the temple and not him. Someone else was going to fulfill his dream.
- How did David respond?
- How do you think you would have responded?
- How can you support others who are called to do what you wanted to do?
- How do you deal with disappointment?
- What is a disappointment you’ve experienced due to the coronavirus?
- How have you reacted?
- Where are you placing your hope in the midst of this?
- At the beginning of group, we reflected on a dream that didn’t come true. Share those dreams now.