In the Company of Kings
February 23, 2020
Welcome opening question:
Who was your best friend as a kid, and why?
Memorizing Psalm 34:8-10:
On Sunday, Dan challenged us to memorize Psalm 34:8-10 (ESV). Take 5-10 minutes at the start of group to split into two’s and see if you can begin memorizing a line or two together. See if you can all commit to learning this verse for Sunday and for group next week. Here it is:
Psalm 34:8-10 English Standard Version (ESV)
8 Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!
Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
9 Oh, fear the Lord, you his saints,
for those who fear him have no lack!
10 The young lions suffer want and hunger;
but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
- Our goal for the group today is to ask ourselves if there is anything or anyone that threatens us?
- If so, what path do we choose: the Lord’s path, our own path in contrast to God’s, or the path of self-protection, as in today’s passage?
Read 1 Samuel 18-20:
In this passage we learn different ways people can respond to threats:
Jonathan chose to do what was right as opposed to what would benefit him.
Saul let jealousy and selfish ambition rule his actions.
Michal put self-preservation ahead of God’s plan.
David, like Jonathan, chose to do what was right, honoring and respecting God’s chosen king.
- Have you ever let feelings/anxiety/fear/pride lead your actions? It’s difficult not to!
- Would you say there is anything/anyone you feel threatened by?
- What does this threat reveal about your heart?
- Was there a time when you felt threatened and someone came to your aid? If so, tell us about it.
- Has there ever been a time when you were asked/required to support a person God is using, and you were thinking, ‘I should have this job, I should be the one in charge, I was supposed to be the one, I could do it better!’? (as opposed to the way Jonathan behaved)
- Have you ever been angry with a ‘David’ in your life, but you were really angry with yourself? (like Saul)
- Were you ever SO threatened that you panicked and went into self-protection mode, deciding you would do whatever it took to avoid the danger of the threat? (like Michal)
- Did you ever choose to act in an honorable and respectful way, and let the situation just play out, while trusting God? (like David)
- Did you ever have a sense of God’s will, and vehemently oppose it, and talk with God honestly about your feelings, and then allow Him to have His way anyway? (like Jesus)
- What are we so afraid of anyway? Why do we feel threatened?