H%@# - Hope is Not a 4-Letter Word
Date: May 31, 2020
Title: False Hope
Speaker: Tom Burns
In this week's message, Tom shared a story about his dream of wanting to play baseball at a high level. This did not come true for him no matter how much he believed or worked at it.
What are some dreams that you had hoped for that did not or will not come true?
Set the Tone:
Today we are going to explore what we do when our hopes are shattered and how God might bring new life to those broken dreams.
Read Matthew 7: 24-29
“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law."
- How does this passage relate to hope?
In Sunday's message, Tom stated: "There are certain things that are transient, that are sandy, to build your life on. There are other things that are solid...those hopes are like rock."
- What are some things that we often try to build our lives on, only to discover they are sandy?
- What are some barriers to discovering solid rock foundations to build on?
- How do we know that a foundation is solid once we have discovered it?
Tom's special guest Jen, talked about longing. She said she longed for "home".
- What is something that you deeply long for?
- What do we do when our hopes are shattered and our dreams are broken?
- Jesus often asked people, "What do you want? What do you want me to do for you?"
- Jen shared that Adam and Eve "preferred the gift to the giver." What did she mean by this?
- How did their attitudes get in the way of intimacy with God?
- What do we need to repent of that is getting in the way of what we long for deep down inside?
- Tom said, "We are living in this tension between the fallen world and the world of redemption." As we wrestle with this, how can we "sing a new song" to God, asking Him what He is doing?
Let's take time to pray about our longings and trusting in God's faithfulness to turn our brokenness into His Glory.